Saturday, October 27, 2012

Trees don't need sweaters.

The trees in Louisville are absolutely gorgeous this year. Yellow, orange, brown and red leaves make the streets look like the are covered in confetti.

I was thinking the other day about how much I LOVE the changing of seasons.
I love the chaos that even the slightest hint of cool air brings. People pulling out sweaters, scarfs, and boots when its 75 degrees---I am one of those people. and then I get equally excited when it gets warm again and I dream of eating snowcones and sitting by a pool.

But I don't think God made seasons just so I wouldn't get bored with the weather. I think God made seasons (and trees) to mimic people. Dynamic, ever changing people.
I feel a lot of hope when I look at a tree losing its leafs. I am hopeful for the season ahead.
But the tree, on the other hand, is probably less than excited for the season ahead where it sits looking dead for 3 months until life comes back into its little tree arms.

Donald Miller tweeted on Oct 16th: "All of the trees are losing their leaves, and not one of them is worried."

So true.

God, in all His genius, designed trees to grow, shed all of its growth, look dead, and then regrow.
Trees trust the Creator that He will restore life, even when things look bleak and dull.

I find hope in this when I read the story of an abused child. The story look like a dead tree with no spring in sight.
I pray that I can learn to trust the Creator with as much faith as a tree.



1 comment:

  1. From the sermon at 1027 today:
    "We are learning that it's not what you have, but how you hold onto it. And we as a church want to keep open hands of surrender with the things in our lives...even if our hands are empty."

    ReplyDelete